SMARC does testing for all licenses classes on the 3rd Saturday of each month as well as at special events (Field Day, RT66 OTA!, etc).
Normal times for general monthly testing is 3pm. Testing is done at the DAV building located at 2525 E Division, right across from KOLR10 and the airport. Registration for each testing session is highly recommended. You can register here: SMARC Testing Registration. The fee is $15 and can be paid online after registration or on the day of testing. The day of testing fee is $15 cash only, exact change is required. This fee is set by the ARRL, our VE accreditor. Once you take the test, feel free to stick around for our monthly club meeting at 5pm right at the same location!
Times and locations for special event testing sessions will be made available in the event posting as well as any public announcements made about those events.
Need some help studying for the test?
There are many resources to assist in studying for the test. Though it can be overwhelming at first, its really not that bad. Here are a few links to tried and true online study methods for the new ham, or those looking to upgrade!
Location and Directions for testing:
How do we do it?
Unless otherwise posted, testing WILL happen at the posted time and place. Session cancellations will be posted on this web site. The current exam fee for anyone wishing to take an ARRL exam is $15.00 cash. Your exam fee covers all elements you take and successfully pass in one exam session. You may re-take any element which you do not pass one time at the same session, but re-taking an element previously failed will require an additional $15.00 exam fee.
Make sure you bring proof of identification, with one being a picture ID. All candidates for a new license or a license upgrade who do not have an FCC CORES FRN (FCC Registration Number) will be required to provide their social security number. Currently licensed hams, also please bring along a copy of your current FCC Armature License (can be printed by you from the FCC website), CSCEs or other documentation you intend to use to show previous element credits. A completed form NCVEC605 can be helpful. If you wish to gain credit for an expired general or extra class license, you must provide a copy of that license. We must submit the copy for proof.
Should I pre-register?
While pre-registration is not mandatory, we highly recommend it. We recommend that you notify the VE team in all cases at email@example.com if any of the following apply:
1. Candidates with physical disabilities who need to request special accommodations.
2. Parents or guardians of children under 18 years of age (to be sure that the Social Security Number and proper ID will be available)
What should i bring with me?
Make sure you bring proof of identification, with one being a picture ID. All candidates for a new license or a license upgrade who do not have an FCC CORES FRN (FCC Registration Number) will be required to provide their social security number. Currently licensed hams, also please bring along originals and one photocopy of your current FCC Amateur Radio license, CSCEs or other documentation you intend to use to show previous element credits. If you wish to gain credit for an expired general or extra class license, you must provide a copy of that license. We must submit the copy for proof.
In addition, bring the items listed below:
1. Proof of Identification
2. Your Social Security Number
3. $15.00 exam fee (cash only, exact change please)
4. Copy of your current FCC Amateur Radio license, original or photocopy of valid CSCE documents from prior exam sessions or and expired license showing previously obtained class.
5. Simple battery or solar powered calculator, if needed.
What materials are not allowed at the exam session?
Do not bring any of the following:
1. Study materials
2. Programmable calculators (may be allowed, but you will have to demonstrate that the memory is cleared)
4. MP3 players, iPods etc.
5. Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs)
6. Palm Pilots/devices with a keyboard
7. Cell phones/pagers (we will ask you to turn these devices off and place them at the front of the room).
What are acceptable photo Ids?
Any one of the following:
1. Non-drivers photo ID (“Walker’s ID”)
2. Drivers license with photo
3. Employer’s photo ID
4. School photo ID
6. Military photo ID
7. FCC Radiotelegraph License
What are acceptable non-photo Ids?
Any one of the following:
1. Driver’s license without photo
2. Social Security card
3. Birth Certificate (must have seal)
4. Minor’s work permit
5. School report card
6. Utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence which shows your name
7. Postmarked envelope addressed to the candidate at the same address that appears on the FCC form 605